Translate

Monday, November 10, 2014

"Better Days" {Song Essay}

    It's frustrating to think, that a bond takes years to become popular or have anyone solely interested in their music.  They leave friends and family behind in order to seek prospering opportunities and it is likely that the first record company won't be completely impressed; with having so much past experience in the music industry.  Although, if spirits are optimistic, big breaks usually come soon after some intense effort.  The Goo Goo Dolls, has been one of my dad's favorites, for as long as I paid attention to his music interests.  He has a few cds and always plays their music on Rhapsody, a music sharing website, whenever he's working on the computer.  Also, he's come to know recently, how to play the acoustic guitar.  And of course, one of the first songs he wanted to learn how to play was a number by them!  My dad occasionally and blared their tunes to wake my sister and I up in the morning.  I soon found myself enjoying their adult alternative sound more and more each time I listened.  However, one particular song caught my eye and lead to a whole new world of thinking.  I was awaken by reality and a sanctuary to run to when I felt vulnerable and hurt.
    The strain was called "Better Days."  It not only rescued me from sorrow but, it brought me closer to this radiating orb of hope.  The beat is remarkably comforting to my opinionated set of ears and it knows exactly how to heal upon each time I crave the softening lyrics.  The intro to the song, is played on piano, with a rhythm that is delightfully exquisite to my liking.  It pulls me in, all enchanted like; I follow the soul of the musicians.  Their voices chime together in a bold whisper, almost making in impossible to not sing along.  The silent strive to promote hope bounces wildly as they jump from verse to verse.  Their expressions in the video display fear but echoes of courage bellow after their inspiring chorus.  It is extremely evident that they had every intention of making a difference in someone else's life with this earth-shattering piece.
    As appealing as it is to your ability to hear, it does just the same and more to your heart and mind with their lyrics.  A story is told, and the plot is exposed thoroughly in the music video.  We have a choice in this world, we can muster in the worst times, or we can act, and give "ourselves a chance at better days."  Another catching line, "Cause I don't need boxes wrapped in string and designer love of empty things..."  This is SO true.  And speaks to me daringly, like what object can give you happiness?  Or I mean in deeper terms, real, permanent happiness?  An object, such as money, can give you a temporary twinge, but it will never be truly fulfilling.  I can relate to this easily because in middle school and most of high school I can admit to being obsessed with the "popular" things you could buy and own.  And looking back, I am utterly ecstatic that our generation created songs just like this to open my eyes to what really matters in life.  One last line I adore is, "Tonight the night's the world begins again..."  How inspiring!  This solidifies the chance at finding "Better Days."  They use repetition of their message by using lyrics referencing to similar meanings.  It is obvious that they spent a great deal of time fabricating the song to increase its' potential.
    All in all, I was hesitant about picking only one song to write about, but this really did itself justice.  I couldn't have picked anything more stimulating and anything else would have took me weeks to produce.  "Better Days," advocated that everyone deserves to be loved unconditionally and that is something I take very seriously when people with whom I associate with, tell me they feel worthless or broken.  You soon learn to hide your selfish desires and put another person on the pedestal because you realize they deserve better days just as much as you do, yourself.
    Last summer, my dad scored tickets to their concert in Norfolk.  It was amazing to experience such an event with my dad, especially since he's so incredibly passionate about how devoted he is to the band.  And when they started to play "Better Days," we both smiled and mouthed the words to my favorite song.  

No comments:

Post a Comment