Translate

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Tradition Essay

A tradition is defined as the transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation.  However, our modern day society has evolved quite a bit with numerous technological advances and new living styles.  Most families I know of, admit that keeping traditions alive, is an important aspect to apply when special events and holidays roll around. 
                In my family, the entire Christmas break is basically devoted to a string of days practicing tradition after tradition.  Like hanging lights on certain trees in the backyard, opening presents after nighttime mass, or frosting sugar cookie cutouts with my great grandma’s famous buttercream recipe.  And since there are multiple rituals we follow for that specific holiday, I resorted to spotlighting my attention in the opposite direction to an original “Koepke/Steffens” family tradition, which takes place in a much warmer month of the year. 
            When my mom was growing up in her adoptive family, they made a habit of vacationing two weeks into the summer, after school got out each year.  She claims the trips varied in excitement, depending on where they ended up actually going.  Her father, Allyn, was a history buff—meaning most adventures were centered on prominent landmarks and homes of victorious battles.  The excursions must have positively influenced her somehow, because once I started kindergarten, we loaded up the white minivan and headed out to Florence, Oregon.  Whilst that trip took place in late fall, we made a promise within our family to begin a series of vacations on the very last day of school of the upcoming year and every year up until Hunter has graduated. 
            As a child, my mom remembers that their vacations were nearly almost always combined with visiting friends or family.  “My parents were such family oriented people,” my mom quoted with a beaming smile.  Following in their footsteps, our vacationing tradition took a predictable turn.  If we were passing through or flying over a state/city with people we knew, we were definitely stopping by for a few days to catch up and reminisce on the past.  Recently, a few years back, my family was setting out for Amelia Island, Florida and it just so happened that my cousin’s, Jacki, graduation was to be on a day when we were to be flying out of St. Louis.  Therefore, we opted out, and camped out in my aunt’s living room for a couple days in Perryville, Missouri so we could attend, and rescheduled a flight for a few days later.  
            The way we travel today is extremely flexible when it comes to various ways to do it.  My mom stated that they drove every year to their destination and never got the chance to travel by plane.  It was a simpler time then, and flying wasn’t as popular as it is right now.  “We went camping more than anything,” she said vibrantly.  Reassuring that their vacationing wasn’t always luxurious and expensive, they had to be logical and think with an affordable type mindset.  Today, for our family, we try our best to drive as much as possible because it’s inexpensive and were attempting to be practical, like my mother’s family was.  Though, if the location isn’t exactly ideal driving distance, we aren’t against flying.  Actually, I think all of us prefer flying the most and with only four people in our family it can be cheap on some occasions and costly on others.  Over time, traveling has become so much EASIER.  A few summers ago, we took a week long relaxation in Puerto Rico and in response to that, she commented, “I could have never imagined traveling so far at such an early time in my life.”

            Every single year I look forward to the last day of school.  It’s a unique feeling because not only are you excited for school to be out, but also for the opportunity of venturing off with your family to somewhere you"ve only read about in magazines or have seen on TV.Although, in past years, I have been pretty disappointed because most of my class during middle school loved to host end of the school year parties or dances, and I would have to miss them.Though, the vacation probably topped every adult chaperoned extravaganza they organized.  But, there is also one more, minor downfall, both of my parents believe in exposing us to the natural wonders of the world first, before the man made.  Meaning, no Disney World.  My sister and I really don’t mind much though, we are just grateful that they spend their time and energy, keeping us girls happy, by exploring this beautiful world, together, as a family.

1 comment:

  1. I do not know what it was about your essay but it kept me reading, the way you described everything within the tradition kept me holding on as a reader waiting for more which made me enjoy it very much. I definitely could relate at the beginning of your essay when you talked about your Christmas traditions seeing that many of them we have in common. My favorite time of the year is Christmas so those traditions always bring back great memories! I thought your tradition was very unique and a new take compared to most of what others wrote about in their essays. I love going on vacations so the fact that you get to do that every summer is awesome! I always remember in middle school you having to leave and go on those trips and I never was happy about it because my friend left me for the first couple weeks of summer. But you always came back with great stories and pictures that never disappointed! Every time you came back each story you told sounded like you always had such a great time! I think it is awesome that this tradition started with your mom and then was continued through your family, you only have a few years left so enjoy it while it lasts!!!

    ReplyDelete